Faculty Member in Residence
Every semester, the Villa welcomes Georgetown faculty members from Main Campus to serve as a Faculty Member in Residence. The faculty member in residence is responsible for teaching up to two courses appropriate to the location and curriculum of Villa Le Balze. In addition to their regular teaching responsibilities, the faculty member in residence is expected to develop and lead a single-day field trip outside of Florence that engages students directly in the main topics of their course; faculty are further encouraged to make full use of Florence’s many museums, galleries, and sites of historic and cultural importance.
Beyond curricular and programmatic activities, the faculty member in residence is expected to engage students in less structured ways. This includes regularly dining with students, helping to facilitate informal reflection, and generally participating in aspects of daily life at the Villa. The faculty member resides in Fiesole, within walking distance of the Villa.
Faculty members interested in applying to teach at Villa Le Balze are encouraged to review the following information, and to contact Gregory Spear (firstname.lastname@example.org), Assistant Director of Global Living and Learning Programs.
The Application Process
The Office of Global Education accepts applications on an annual basis from GU faculty wishing to teach for a semester in residence at the Villa. Applications for fall 2018 and spring 2019 will be available on this page in April 2017, accompanied by a formal campus-wide call. Applications will be due at the beginning of the fall semester, and include the following documents:
- statement outlining why they wish to serve as faculty member in residence and indicating their preferred term abroad (Fall, Spring, or no preference)
- detailed descriptions, including bibliography, for two courses they propose to teach; the course description should indicate to which academic department the course will be assigned and include a rough outline of the major themes, methodologies, and assignments.
- tentative proposal for at least one field trip (daytrips, rather than overnight) for each course, to be refined and developed in consultation with the Villa staff.
- copy of the Registrar’s summary sheets of their teaching evaluations.
- CV, including all the courses they have taught at Georgetown.
- letter of support from the Chair of the applicant’s department that expresses willingness to release the applicant from teaching during the requested term (if selected) and provides the contact information of the administrator with whom OGE can coordinate if the applicant is selected.
Applicants must be tenure line faculty of Georgetown University in order to apply to be faculty in residence at the Villa. Members of the faculty who have been in residence at the Villa may not apply to fill the position until two full academic years have elapsed.
Villa Le Balze currently does not offer semester teaching opportunities for non-Georgetown faculty members at the Villa.
Please direct any questions regarding the application procedure to:
Assistant Director, Global Living & Learning Programs
Office of Global Education
210 Car Barn, 3520 Prospect Street, NW
Washington, DC 20057-1013
Tel. (202) 687-5624
Fax. (202) 687-5944